Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sandi Oh's Drunken' Cuppies
















Man, I wish I would have entered these chocolate ones in the Iron Cupcake: nuts and seeds. I think they turned out awesome, and they look great too! They are my best devils food recipe cupcakes with a scoop of almond paste in the middle with a very yummy amaretto buttercream frosting and chocolate covered almond to top it off.....MMMMMM!




Devils Food Cupcakes
(I found this on the internet some time ago, I'm sorry but I do not remember where I found it) - note: I have since discovered that this is the Hershey's recipe.

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1 3/4 cup flour (AP)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (I used the Hershey Special Dark)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I always use whole)
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water (for this recipe I used 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp water and 2 Tbsp Amaretto)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cupcake pan (I got 24)

Sift dry ingredients into large bowl. Mix eggs, milk, oil and vanilla into separate bowl then add to dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes (at this point I put the water onto boil). add the boiling water and beat until well blended. (Don't worry it's supposed to look runny).
Now mix 3/4 cup of the batter with 7 oz of almond paste (that has been grated into bowl) and mix well. fill cupcake liners up 2/3 full then add a scant tablespoon of almond paste mixture into center of batter. Bake and enjoy!!!



Amaretto Buttercream
(by me)

2 sticks butter
6 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract
6 Tbsp amaretto
2 Tbsp heavy cream (or to texture).

Cream butter, add half of sugar, salt, extract, 3 Tbsp amaretto and a Tbsp of cream. Beat until well blended. Scrape down and rebeat. Add remaining sugar, amaretto and cream. rebeat. scrape down. Beat for 2 minutes (at this point you can add more cream if you find it too heavy).



Now the vanilla cupcakes are the White Chocolate Pound Cakes from my previous post and today I frosted them two ways:

First I used a white chocolate ganache flavored with Bacardi Limon Rum (yum) and topped with various color buttercreams.

The second ones I frosted with a Bacardi Limon Rum lemon buttercream and vanilla buttercream. The lemon buttercream was so amazing. It was so strong of lemon that it overpowered the cupcake, so I had to actually remove some of it, so it wouldn't be so strong. But no matter, that frosting is frickin' good, and I'll make it again (although I won't use alot).


Bacardi Limon Lemon Buttercream:
(by me)

2 sticks butter softened
6 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
zest of 2 lemons (probably less than a teaspoon)
juice of 1 lemon (probably about 3 1/2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp Bacardi Limon Rum

cream sugar, add half of the sugar, salt, half of zest, juice and bacardi. beat, scrape down then beat again. Add remaining sugar, and the rest of the bacardi. beat, scrape down then beat again. check your consistency, if you need more lemon juice add it, otherwise dont. rebeat for another 2 minutes.


Bacardi Limon White Chocolate Ganache
17 oz white chocolate chips
6 oz heavy cream
1 1/2 Tbsp Bacardi Limon
candy food coloring (oil based)

put chocolate into clean, dry stainless steel bowl. Put cream into small saucepan and bring to boil. Pour into bowl with chocolate and let it sit for one minute. stir chocolate and cream together carefully, then add rum (make sure it is room temp) and however much food coloring you want. Let sit to cool, or dip cupcake tops into ganache (make sure you hold each cuppie upside down to let the excess drip off). I put my cuppies into the fridge to let the ganache set.



No comments:

Post a Comment