Saturday, October 31, 2009

Cupcake Hero, Peanut Butter




The theme of this months Cupcake Hero is Peanut Butter. I, being of dysfunctional mind and body, don't think things like peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and banana, peanut butter cookie....NO, I think Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.....

Soooo, I decided to do my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ganache on top of some chocolate cupcakes, of course I had to mix in some PB cups in the batter and sprinkle them on top too....actually put some snack size ones on the bottom of a few too, as you can see from the pic, tho I don't recommend that.....doesn't cook up nice...

I asked my kids....do you think it's too much PB cup, to which they replied (in unison, I kid you not)..."There's no such thing as too much Reese's PB cup". sigh. I love those kids.

I used my go to chocolate cupcake recipe, listed numerous times throughout this blog, with about 10 chopped up mini PB cups folded in at the end.

I've posted this recipe before too, but here it is again...

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Ganache Buttercream
24 oz chopped up mini PB cups
1 1/2 cups cream
2 sticks room temp unsalted butter
1 - 2 cups powdered sugar sifted.

Night before, or earlier in day, put chopped up candy in heatproof bowl. Heat cream to simmer, pour over candy. let sit for a few minutes, then stir until chocolate is incoroporated. You will have peanut butter lumps...that is a desirable trait! Put in fridge and let firm up (it won't get as thick as regular ganache)
Cream butter and 2 cups ganache in mixer until well blended, add 1 cup of sugar and blend well. If frosting is too soft, add some more sugar...remember it's sweet tho. careful not to overbeat or it will get grainy...but hey, it still tastes good tho.
This frosting is soft and silky....
If you don't want to add the butter and sugar, you can actually just whip up the ganache itself...be really careful not to overbeat! This stuff is good too...a bit grainier than the buttercream version, but delicious...I use this alot for fillings inside of cakes.
Check out Cupcake hero here.



No comments:

Post a Comment