Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Introducing...My First Tiered Cake....












First of all let me say that this was ALOT of work....they sure make it look easy on Cake Boss, don't they???? I'm not even going to comment on all the things that are technically wrong with this cake, because this was a PRACTICE cake for my daughters upcoming birthday.

I will say, I learned alot from this cake. I'm glad I did it. I think despite it's flaws that it's beautiful and it turned out like the image in my mind...which is important. It is inspired by the beautiful Flickr pictures of Icing Dreams, whose works are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen...check her out.

The top tier is styrofoam covered in fondant...I did that because I'm alittle paranoid of lead in the wire (I work in an ER remember...I've seen a kid get sick from swallowing a lead trinket...he ended up dying shortly after), so in no way did I want the wire touching my cake. I thought the styrofoam thing was a good idea.
The last picture is of Heather, the birthday girl I used to practice making a cake for (thank you Heather) and her very large mango margarita....

This is also the first time I've worked with Royal Icing...which was a joy to work with, it won't be the last.
I'll have more pictures of the cake on Flickr, just look under Sandi Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment