Saturday, January 9, 2010

Turtle Cupcake Recipes...

For the Swiss Meringue Buttercream, I simply used Brown sugar instead of white sugar...

1 cup dark brown sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened, cubed into Tbsp chunks
1 tsp vanilla (I used my homemade vanilla that had been steeping in Rum)

Over pan of simmering water mix sugar, eggs, and cream of tartar. Whisk until mixture hits 160 degrees (or until you cannot feel sugar crystals any longer).

Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl and beat on high with whisk attachment 8 - 10 minutes until bottom of bowl is cool. I can tell when my meringue is ready when I take the whisk out and the meringue trail looks like an eagles beak off of the whisk.

Attach paddle and on med start adding the butter 1 Tbsp at a time, letting the butter incorp after each addition. When all the butter is added, increase speed to med high and beat for approx 3 minutes. By now, you will have seen a change in the consistency of your frosting, and also hear a change in how the beater sounds. It will sound more like a slap, slap. It's ready. On low, just add in your vanilla until blended.

For The Caramel Sauce
(I found this on the internet, and did not write down where, and now I don't remember...so I cannot give credit to original poster..I'm sorry)
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy cream

1. heat sugar on moderately high heat in 2 or 3 quart pan. As sugar is melting stir, As soon as sugar starts to boil, stop stirring! swirl pan as necessary to keep sugar from burning.
2. As soon as sugar is melted, add butter to pan, whisk until butter melts.
3. Take pan off heat and count to 3. Slowly add cream and whisk to incorportate until smooth.(I had a few difficult lumps that I had to strain out). let cool for a few minutes, then pour into class mason jar and let sit to cool.
4. refrigerate. warm in microwave for 10 sec prior to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment