Friday, June 26, 2009

The Ultimate Mojito Cake/Cupcake Recipe


Seriously, an explosion of taste in your mouth....you gotta try it. It's simply a revision of Warren Brown's Light and Lemony Cake, which in itself is wonderful.

Mojito Cake
(adapted from Warren Brown)
Dry:
8 1/2 ounces unbleached AP flour (approx 1 1/2 cups + 3 Tbsp) - I measured, read the book and you'll understand why.
2 Tbsp potato starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda (no, that's not a typo. that's all you use.)

Liquid:
2 limes
1/2 lemon
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
1 Tbsp rum
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon oil (I did not have lemon oil, so I use 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Creaming:
1 stick unsalted, room temp, butter
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
16 ounces extra-fine granulated sugar ( approx 2 cups)
2 Tbsp turbinado sugar (look in the organic section of your store)
1 tbsp lime zest
2 Tbsp minced fresh mint
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk.
zest the lime, set aside. segment the lime and lemons (basically, you cut the peel-with white- off the lemon and then cut the fruit out as you would a grapefruit, being careful not to get any seeds or membrane in with the pulp.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift flour directly into a bowl on a scale for accurate measuring. Measure the other dry ingredients into a seperate mixing bowl, add the flour and whisk for 10 seconds.
Measure liquid ingredietns into a seperate bowl, whisk to combine - don't try to break up the lime, the mixer will do it.

In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, cream the butter, cream cheese, sugars and lime zest on lowest speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the eggs one a time, fully incorporating after each addition (scraping bowl when needed).

Add the dry ingredients alternately with the liquid mixture in 3 to 5 additions each, beginning and ending with the dry. this should take a total of 60 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl and all the way down, then mix on med for 15 to 20 seconds.

Bake approx 18-22 minutes. I got 23 cupcakes, both times I made these.
Unfortunately, the above is the only picture I took of the cake. I made both a cake and cupcakes from this recipe, and it was awesome. I have a housewarming party coming up, I might make these into cuppies and I'll take another picture then.
As far as frosting, I used my macerated strawberry mixture, instead adding lime juice and lime zest, and a Tbsp of rum, with chopped mint to the mixture and made an american buttercream. But use your imagination. Next time I think I'll use a blackberry buttercream to make Blackberry Mojitos....mmmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a substitute for Potato Starch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iwould just add 2 Tbsp more sifted flour if you don't have it.

    ReplyDelete